NFL Power Rankings week 4: At MattandMikesports we wait to do our power rankings a few weeks because the NFL is crazy, and we wait for the pretenders to be weeded out. Now remember records aren’t always indicators at how good a team is right now.
1. LA Rams (4-0): The Rams seem unbeatable right now. Every team faulters once or twice of course, but if things stay how they are now the Rams could be Super Bowl Champs this season.
2. Kansas City Chiefs (4-0): The Chiefs have the hottest arm in the league playing QB and regardless of having an absolutely abysmal defense they are the best team in the AFC. They have too many weapons on offense to contain.
3. Tennessee Titans (3-1): The Titans are a team I have doubted every single week, but their defense is real. Even with injuries to Mariota and Gabbert they still are winning games. I really think they have done enough against some tough teams to deserve this spot.
4. Jacksonville Jaguars (3-1): The Jaguars defense is elite, and their offense is a top 12 offense, even without Fournette. I believe the Jaguars have the talent to be a top team in the league, but they need more consistency out of Bortles.
5. New Orleans Saints (3-1): The Saints have the offensive firepower to beat anyone. Their defense is very shaky though, which could cause issues down the road against other high caliber offenses.
6. Cincinnati Bengals (3-1): The Bengals are a great team surprisingly. Their offense is elite even with a subpar offensive line. Tyler Boyd breaking out this year is really giving Green more room roam and Dalton another great target. Eifert out for the year but they are getting Mixon back soon.
7. Baltimore Ravens (3-1): The Ravens have the best defense in the league. Flacco has new shiny weapons and he is loving them. Maxx Williams has looked better and they will be getting Hayden Hurst finally added to this good offense.
8. Carolina Panthers (2-1): The Panthers are coming off a bye and they are likely to pick up an easy win this week against the Giants and move to 3-1. They hope to be getting Greg Olsen back sooner rather than later and if they do watch out for the Panthers.
9. New England Patriots (2-2): The Patriots might be struggling early, but it’s Tom Brady and I believe with Edelman returning they just became a better team already. The Pats might be back to an elite team with Edelman back as well as Josh Gordon on this team now.
10. Philadelphia Eagles (2-2): The Superbowl champs might be slipping a little and I find this weekends game to be tough but give them time they will be back to elite form.
11. Green Bay Packers (2-1-1): The Packers have an injured Aaron Rodgers. With Jones back at RB, and the impressive growth of this defense they are the best team in their division.
12. Minnesota Vikings (1-2-1): The Vikings defense might be struggling lately, but Mike Zimmer will right the ship. I personally see Cousins as the issue more than the defense as he has yet to learn how to protect the ball from strip sacks this far into his career.
13. Washington Redskins (2-1): The Skins are the biggest shock to me this season as they are a very competitive team. AP has been nice but not great. Alex Smith has been incredible this year. The defense has played well not great.
14. Chicago Bears (3-1): I have seen them top 6, I have seen them bottom 16. The Bears are a top 15 team, but their record doesn’t really show who they are. Everyone freaked out because they beat the Buccaneers the way they did, the Buccaneers don’t have a defense. The Bears have played one legit team and they lost that game.
15. Miami Dolphins (3-1): The Dolphins came off an ugly loss last week which has us asking are they the Dolphins who beat the Titans week 1 or are they the Dolphins who got skunked by the Pats last weekend.
16. LA Chargers (2-2): The Chargers 2 losses are to the Chiefs and the Rams. They need Bosa to stop letting a bone bruise keep him inactive for this long, but their offense is insanely good. If their defense steps up and starts producing better they will be a top 8 team in the league.
17. Denver Broncos (2-2): The Broncos lost to 2 top teams, KC and Baltimore. I think Keenum is a good QB but I don’t believe he is good enough to get them to the next level. The Broncos defense looks good and their run game is doing well, just need to see more out of the QB.
18. Pittsburgh Steelers (1-2-1): The Record is meaningless. They struggled early with the drama around Bell and Brown. They are going to right the ship eventually, but until then they are sticking bottom half of the league.
19. Dallas Cowboys (2-2): The Cowboys are a team who honestly has surprised me this year. With the lack of WR’s and TE’s I thought they would be 0-4 thus far into the season. Their defense and run game are doing phenomenally well, their defense being the surprising one, giving this team hope.
20. Atlanta Falcons (1-3): The Falcons are struggling bad defensively, but they aren’t out of it just yet because their offense is one of the best in the league. Keep an eye on the Falcons if they can get into shootouts they are still a possible contender. Losing Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, and Ricardo Allen might have ended this teams’ season though.
21. Seattle Seahawks (2-2): The Seahawks lost Earl Thomas who is a disgrace for flipping off his team like his teammates are responsible for his contract dispute. The Seahawks need to develop a better offensive line.
22. Houston Texans (1-3): The Texans are a great team in the 2nd half but their struggles in the beginning of games have caused them issues. Their offense if great and the emergence of Keke Coutee might be massive.
23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-2): Bye week ahead which is much needed. Winston is now the starter, Ronald Jones is finally getting playing time, and their WR’s are great. They lost OJ Howard for multiple weeks and their defense is bad. This won’t be a good year for the Buccaneers.
24. Detroit Lions (1-3): I thought they would be a better team this year. They just are missing something defensively and Stafford hasn’t been elite yet this season.
25. Indianapolis Colts (1-3): The Colts are bad defensively. Luck started slow, he looked better last week. We will see if Luck will continue to show growth.
26. New York Giants (1-3): The Giants are in for a long season. Barkley and Odell are the best receivers on this team. The defense has looked good this year, but their offense isn’t scoring enough and a large part of that is Eli has begun his decline and their offensive line is horrible.
27. Cleveland Browns (1-2-1): The Browns are better with Tyrod than they would be with Baker. Baker has talent that Tyrod doesn’t have and will one day be a great NFL QB. There is one thing Tyrod doesn’t do though that Baker does do. Baker turns the ball over too much as he did so 4 times in one game and Tyrod turned it over 6 times total all season last year. The Browns can win more with Tyrod this season.
28. Oakland Raiders (1-3): Yes, the Raiders beat the Browns last week, but the Browns are a good field goal kicker away from a 3-1 record. The Raiders defense is horrible, and their offense is too inconsistent to be trusted at all.
29. San Francisco 49ers (1-3): Beathard is their QB now with Jimmy G out for the season. He will do a good enough job as he almost brought them the win over the LA Chargers last week. The team still isn’t good enough to compete with the top-level teams.
30. Buffalo Bills (1-3): Keeping this one simple. Get Josh Allen some freakin’ weapons. Offense does more defense stays off the field and can produce better.
31. New York Jets (1-3): This team will have ups and downs with a rookie QB and a weaker running game.
32. Arizona Cardinals (0-4): The Cardinals are going to improve now with Josh Rosen at the helm but it will be slow.
- Matt Koontz