As we head towards week 2 of the NFL preseason, there are plenty of interesting story-lines. Here are 20 quick hits that stand out to me.--Mike B.
1) Dorial Green-Beckham has been traded from the Titans to the Eagles. In return, the Titans receive 2012 5th round pick offensive lineman Dennis Kelly, who can play both guard and tackle and adds depth along the Tennessee offensive line. Green-Beckham is a great pickup for the Eagles if he can keep things together, but he struggled to fit into Mike Mularkey's system in Tennessee. This trade benefits the Eagles in my opinion. It also benefits rookie wide receiver Tajae Sharpe from a fantasy perspective in Tennessee by opening up targets.
2) Christian Ponder has signed a 1-year deal with the 49ers. He'll probably compete for a backup role in San Francisco, but the 49ers QB depth chart is weak enough that he could push for a starting gig.
3) Branden Jackson had a solid first preseason game for Oakland, finishing with a tackle and a batted pass. He also forced some double teams while not making any big mistakes. That's how to make an NFL roster as an UDFA.
4) Carson Wentz is dealing with a hairline fracture that will likely sideline him through most of the preseason. While this is problematic from a developmental standpoint, Wentz most likely won't see action as a rookie anyway, so he will have time to recover.
5) Dak Prescott looked extremely solid for the Cowboys. If Romo misses time, they're in good hands with Prescott.
6) Leonard Hankerson has been released by the Buffalo Bills following a forgettable pre-season debut.
7) Speaking of the Bills, Marcell Dareus is facing a suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
8) Speaking of suspensions, Le'Veon Bell's appeal is coming up, originally slated for this Thursday, August 18th.
9) Joey Bosa is still holding out.
10) The Bengals are struggling with injuries, especially among their additions. Cornerback William Jackson III may miss the season following a pectoral tear. Defensive tackle Andrew Billings is dealing with a torn meniscus. Brandon LaFell suffered a torn ligament in his hand. The injury bug is hitting Cincinnati hard right now.
11) Green Bay wide receiver Jeff Janis will miss 4 to 6 weeks with a broken hand.
12) Coby Fleener IS the Saints #1 TE; he was listed as 4th/other on an unofficial depth chart released by the team on accident.
13) Brock Osweiler was underwhelming in his Texans debut, going 4/7 for 27 yards. Still, no major mistakes is a good thing.
14) Jaelen Strong has looked good in Houston, and could have a strong sophomore season for the team following a weak rookie campaign.
15) Sterling Sharpe is looking like the Giants #2 WR early in the pre-season. Monitor things to see how this plays out if you're looking at him as a fantasy option, but he could be useful.
16) Michael Thomas looks dominant for the Saints early. He could be a huge piece of the New Orleans offense this season.
17) Terrance West could open the season as the #1 RB in Baltimore. He's off to a strong start.
18) Paxton Lynch looks like the long-term answer at quarterback in Denver, even if he doesn't open the 2016 season as a starter.
19) Tyrod Taylor is apparently the answer in Buffalo following a 6 year contract extension.
20) Zach Zenner has started out the pre-season just like last year, looking like a strong option in the Detroit Lions backfield. He's a player to watch heading into the season. He could lead the Lions in rushing yards in 2016.
Sports give us as the human race something to cheer for and support and give hope to all of us.